R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 08:59 PM
snoopyrc
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
The Southern Nats is Myrons race and he decided to have a Sportsman class. There is no provision for a sportsman class in the rules. I don't think there is a need to split classes.
I agree. At least as far as the National set of rules is concerned. In most cases it would unnecessarily dilute the field of racers and put an unnecessary burden on the tracks that conduct the races. But at the Southern Nationals it has been done this way for several years and is only now an issue. I am surprised by the number of concerns we are getting over this very small detail. In reality if a racer wants his two points for national rankings instead of a very lovely sportsman VTA trophy then by all means sign up for the pro class. I promise it's ok. The class was set aside so that slower guys could take home some hardware. Not to discourage anyone from running the regular class. I appreciate Myron's and RobK's positions on this. There's no need to change rules or get upset over this. It was done for the slower guys. It's not there to cut anyone out of anything.

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Being an extreamly competative class doesnt also mean it cant be an entry level class. Those terms are not mutually exclusive. But with the given rule set, how can it not be an entry level class? But with that in mind I will be willing to bet every one of the amain drivers at the southern nats will have a car that is less than 2 years old
I'm sorry man. I'm not following this. To me entry-level means inexperienced driver+inexperienced at set up + inexperienced at gearing and tire prep= @$$ handed to driver in USVTA. I'm not denying that at many tracks VTA may be the best place to cut your teeth, but I still wouldn't call it an entry level class, as if that were it's purpose. I wasn't there when it all began, but I don't remember anything about it being a class for noobs. The only thing about USVTA that does lend it to the entry level driver is that the slower speeds are more forgiving.
Originally Posted by wwddww34
+1
There's no need to split classes. Besides, you always need drivers to fill the B-main, C-main, D-main, etc.?
I personally am not ashamed of an e main finish, but for a very casual racer like myself it's a neat class. Now that points are being accumulated nationally, I doubt that Myron will do it this way again. I bet the trophies are paid for and probably already on hand. I'm sure no one is forced to run sportsman that doesn't want to.