R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 12th scale OUTLAW
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 11:15 AM
LloydLoar
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by howardcano
There seem to be two different ideas going on in this thread. The first is as you described: a larger, heavier battery (shorty 2s). On a high traction surface, that will reduce cornering speeds due to traction rolling, as you observed. The only advantage that this idea has over 1s LiPo is that someone might already have a shorty 2s, and they don't have to purchase a voltage booster or receiver battery. Personally I don't think that either of those is much of an advantage, especially given the very low cost of a 1s LiPo and voltage booster.

The other idea is to use a 2s LiPo in a 1s case. These are not widely available in the US, and as a result are more expensive than a 1s LiPo. The energy density is essentially the same, so the car's power-to-weight ratio will be no different once an appropriate motor is selected (about double the turn count for 2s versus 1s). This idea requires the purchase of the 2s-in-a-1s-case, but again saves the cost of a voltage booster or receiver battery. Considering that voltage boosters can be had for less than $15, that's not much of an advantage.

So I'm still not sure what we have to gain from any of this.

P.S. I really thought your F5 and L5 were beautiful instruments.
Thank you for saying exactly how I feel. I really don't see what this buys you as a class when compared to the currently existing 12th scale offerings. From all of the original 'skirt' comments in the early posts, it sounds like they want it to be an even more difficult version of mod 12th (which really isn't what this hobby needs when normal mod 12th is already suffering from low attendance.)

Maybe the best way to word this is that I don't think the 2s vs 1s discussion is what is hurting mod 12th racing across the US As such, why not focus on the items that might actually be keeping people from racing?

People are not turning away from mod 12th because they are afraid of buying another battery...

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
I want the higher voltage. I run F1 which is 21.5 on 2S. While the car is heavier I don't expect 17.5 on 2S to even be close to what a mod car running a boosted 3.5 will do. If it is so be it. I have no intention of racing this and am not proposing a new class, just a fun car to run on practice days using a bunch of stuff I already have laying around. This has nothing to do with what "we have to gain". It is all about what I have to gain and it sounds like there are a couple others that have similar things in mind.
I completely understand this point-of-view. The part(s) I don't understand are the items you specifically mention re: new class and racing, which is what this thread seemed to start out with. The part about being able to use the same packs makes complete sense to me. As Howard mentions above, I just don't see what this buys you as a new class when compared to current 12th offerings. Your justification makes sense from a practice day fooling around POV, I just don't get the racing side of the discussion