R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 22-4 THREAD
Thread: TLR 22-4 THREAD
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 07:15 PM
Beau S
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ashalak
I ran my 22-4 all day today on our local astro track, car performed decent but I lacked steering most of the day and stability on the limit. I made a few changes throughout the day only to realise that for some reason my EPA was set a few clicks lower than where it needed to be, god knows why it had changed but it did. After correcting that and discovering steering, I managed to pull a second place out of the bag in the 3rd leg of the A Final

After the meeting I stayed to flip my rear arms round and run the shocks inboard. Now I ran the shocks inboard as close as I could to the original settings I ran throughout the day, to get a good comparison. So basically I ran the stock hubs, lengthened my wheelbase an additional 2mm to compensate for the arms shortening it and I also drilled a new hole for my anti roll bar which I could simply bolt into the opposite side of the arm. The only thing I had to do besides drilling a new hole for the anti-roll bar mount was to add approximately 3mm's worth of washers over the ballstud on the rear camber block, just to straighten it out as best as I could. It was still on a slight angle however, but again for the sake of consistency I stuck with it. Obviously if you wanted to run this configuration long term, you'd probably be better with the 22 hubs to work around this. If you did want to keep with the stock hubs though I would probably recommend longer ballstuds and more shims.

After completing the modification I took to the track, and??? Different car! I was absolutely blown away with just how much BETTER it was. Now remember I was running on high grip astro, so I'm not saying that it's going to suit everyone but on this kind of condition it really suited me. The car was much more responsive and more reactive to steering inputs, this had nothing but benefits for me whether it was high or low speed steering. I also noticed that for the first time ever I could get the car to slide and give in the corner rather than try and grip roll, which made the car much more forgiving on the high grip and gave me a level of confidence to push the car that I have never had with it before. In the original configuration even throughout the day with the same setup I was always very conscious of driving too hard for the sake of not having grip roll, with the rear shocks inboard however I could drive the snot out of the thing and it just responded!

The shocks are very much staying on the inside now, and next up is to try the 22 hubs and potentially the shorty pack. I could do all of this in one go, but I very much believe in understanding and learning for myself . On the downside I now need to rebuild my diffs again, which is very frustrating because they've only done 3 meetings. Seriously, if this car had gear diffs it would probably be the best 4wd out there.
Very nice!!
I'm looking forward to the follow-up mod reports!