R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Need Help Tuning Alpha Engine
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 11:33 AM
MotoGod
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

I just ran a Lutz (non-worlds) for the first time this past weekend at Wicked Weekend in GA. It was almost broken in when I got down there, and I had a few issues tuning it as well, but I finally got it sorted out.

The longer needles seem to be a little more sensitive than the other Alphas I have personally run. The weather was hot and humid down in GA, so this particular race was a bear to get a base tune down for...and I wasn't the only guy having issues. The HSN was too lean and the bottom was too fat was the ultimate problem. Compared to my other Alphas, the HSN on my Lutz right now is actually @ 2 turns OUT from flush and the LSN is a little IN from flush. Normally the HSN ends up being a little bit IN from flush so in my head I wasn't even thinking it was too lean so I adjusted the LSN accordingly....and then my engine came off it's first 5 min qualifier at 315 degrees with just OK performance. We adjusted for qual 2, but a blown diff didn't let me get a good test on it, next round I hit 310 still with poor performance, and then finally for round 4 we got it pretty close. It was running awesome (maybe a tad fat even) and came off the track at 274 with HIGH humidity and @ 95 degree ambient temp.

So just keep at it. Seems like this particular engine might be prone to being WAY too lean on top and too fat on the bottom to compensate. Just my experiences....hoping it helps you out a little. I think this is the first long needle carb I have had to deal with as far as Alphas go...and I'm run a bunch of different versions of the Alphas.

Good luck with it!