R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Standard/Proper way to wire Deans
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 08:52 AM
the incubus
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
I used Sermos / Anderson Powerpoles for many years. I kept the positive and negatives separate for shorter wires runs as the side-by-side round cell packs had connections from each end. Really liked the completely protected contacts, and the gender-neutral feature which at times was very useful.

But as the big air hard pack tracks become common I couldn't rely on them staying together. Tried adding more slack, didn't seem to help. Had to tape them together for a while until I ended up switching to the new at the time direct bullet lipos.

Still use them on my vintage rides though, since they don't get tossed around as much they still work great. I always soldered them too.

My son uses the current Deans on his 1/8 scale without issue. In my opinion they are certainly better than the old style 4 pin Deans.
Later on the Power Poles connectors had a half circle recess cut into them that would create a complete opening between the two halves and a pin would slide in there preventing them from ever sliding apart. On my old ones the fit is so tight you will literally get blisters on your fingertips trying to pry them apart and snapping them back together again, but I did have a couple that were a little easier to slide apart.