Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 12:59 PM
CamLS
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by Benzaah
Firstly, people say the ball cups bind at big angles. You have about 20mm of range on the ball cup once everything is installed and ready to run. Yes when you have shocks and wheels off the car the cups do bind at the extreme angles you can make the arms go up to but you will never get this much range in a RTR car. People do run xray parts as the serpent camber links are hudy steel same as the xray. I feel people run these parts because they offer short, medium and long ball studs which is helpful if you want to run ultra high or ultra low roll centres with under 2.5mm or more than 5mm of shims which the serpent ball studs don't like. BUT The xray parts are more expensive than the serpent parts and it's very rare you will run into extreme low or high traction these set up changes work in.

I get a bit of frustrated here as I don't understand why people want to put other brand parts on our cars. The serpent parts are very good and I have had 4 ball cup failures in 3 years. Yes I don't hit much and don't have to run on tight boarded tracks but saying that the spare ball cups are $3ish a packet.

Is it that hard to stock a few parts your LHS doesn't?

I have zero LHS support in the state I live and order all my parts through the Australian distributor who is 3 states away. It takes 4 days to get most orders I place unless I want to fork out extra for overnight shipping. Yes I keep a fair inventory of spares but the car rarely breaks anything. I have campaigned this car for the last 3 years just fine.

Maybe you should just run a full assoc or Durango package so you can get LHS support for your ride.

Good fast cheap. Choose 2. Fast and cheap isn't good. Just sayin'
Sorry, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to run any 3rd party parts on my Serpent cars. Not like tie rods and ball studs are going to change the dynamics of the cars, but your concern is noted.