R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 04:35 PM
monkeyracing
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
So long as you replace the diff putty every 3-4 full race sessions you're good. The only time the diff putty leaks out of there is too much diff movement, hence the reason I add an additional diff shim. The putty I'm referring to is thick enough you can roll into small balls. The instructions show rolling into 3x 10mm balls and placing it between the planetary gears. I did this the first time around the diff came too loose after a few runs. I now pack the entire diff, just enough so there is little diff action. Helps to pull the car around the corners. Not sure what blu-tac is? Its almost full lock, but there is some diff action with some efforts
Thanks, Carl. All things considered, I'll probably stick with the stock diff and extra shims (3 per side) in my M03. It's reliable for 6 months at a stretch of racing twice a week. Even then it doesn't really need more than a cleaning. Besides, I'm finally going to focus on a single car this season and that's the 05 v2.

Trying to decide where to go with the M05 diff. Think I'll run the 3Racing with some heavy silicone and see where it goes. May look at the putty option later, depending on how stable the car is.