R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 10:12 AM
cheapskate.brok
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
I had both an M03 and M05v2 identically set-up for this race. Each has stock spec speedo and R1 motors. Both set at 30 degrees, the M03 motor came off at 137 and the M05v2 came off at 170. The difference is there is more cooling with the m03 as I had the fan closer to the motor and the M05v2 has the motor more in-line and covered.

The 170 temp appears fine as the motor was still strong. Unfortunately, I cracked the suspension arm in practice with my m05v2 due to the the wrong model setting in my radio and had a runaway car. I would have loved to see which car was better overall for me. I was TQ with the M03 by a hundredths of a second and came in second to Jamie who ran an M05v2. Our lap times were close, so the M05v2 has potential versus the M05.

For motors, I've smoked a killshot after one run, you need to be careful with the timing setting. The Thunder power appears to comparable to the R1, but if i had to chose a motor my recommendation would be R1, Reedy, ThunderPower. good luck. In my opinion, heat is an enemy in electric racing, so best to keep the motor no more than 160. but some may disagree. Better to ask Steve on the R1 forum.
Mate, may i know what diff you're using? i'm keen in racing my M03, but can't fit in the 3racing gear diff.

Thanks mate. Do share some images of your ride *drool