R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Speed Passion F1 car - The SP1
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 10:26 AM
liljohn1064
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zephuros
Agreed. And as I discover how to make best use of these parts the car seems to only get better. Sadly here in Malaysia we're stuck with using Ride R1s, which give excellent rear bite but the fronts are just a bit too hard for decent steering.

I just bought another SP1 kit for parts but have decided to build it up as a standby car instead!
I did that with my LM-1. Now I have spares for years, 2 LM-1s and an SP-1. Last hopup is here, Alu servo bracket!

Time for custom parts! Just ordered a 6mm x 1m titanium rod ($75 US shipped). Time for some custom rear axles. One option is to cut it to the length of the carbon axle and drill out the pin hole for the inner hub. I just need the ends of some carbon axles that have been broken. The other option is to take the steel axle in and have the machining duplicated for the threaded end on the titanium rod and have the pin hole drilled for the inner hub. This will use a lot more stock. I should have enough stock for 5 or 6 and some scrap either way (extras!). I'm then switching to the Qtec left clamp hub. I have never trusted set screws. I don't like dimpling carbon axles, they always dig in and split or go loose on me. I'm running one of the clamp hubs on my LM-1 graphite axled car and wouldn't go back. I'll post the cost back and which option made the cut.