R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 06:28 AM
davidl
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vafactor
the altered ego chassis plate is the one with the integrated wide link mounts. Interestingly, the altered ego chassi plate is about 1/4" shorter than the standard super skinny XTI chassis plate. So, if one uses the altered ego chassis plate in combo with a standard XTI rear pod, the overall wheelbase will be about 1/4" shorter than a standard narrow XTI car. Taking 1/4" out of the car's wheelbase could explain why the car would be better in 180's, perhaps moreso than just taking the angle out of the side links. If you want to maintain the XTI's long wheelbase but use the integrated wings chassis, then there are different graphite pod plates for the altered ego that add back the 1/4".....but add what was lost from the main chassis plate by putting that much extra length into the pod. Personally, I like the car best with the altered ego's short main chassis in combo with the XTI's short pod. That combo yields a wheelbase about the same as some of the older CRC cars that were produced before it became the fashion to extend the wheelbase of 1/12th scale cars. Perhaps I'm old skool,........but I prefer the feel of the shorter wheelbase setup.

Hi Vafactor. Good to hear from you. You are running what is called the short/short configuration. I like it too for 17.5 racing. I explained above the change in feel of the car once I changed the length of the links and put them parallel to the inline of the chassis. After running this car both ways, I think you will like the longer links even more than you like it now. I am running on tracks that are not high traction such as you would see at a "Big Race". It is possible that the Big Race atmosphere with extremely high bite would not require so much rear pod side to side rotation to have adequate traction. I am now running side tube lubs that are more to what I used in the past, making me think that the sweet spot on my car has been expanded.

Haven't tried this yet, but I am hearing that the Altered Ego rear pod plates would lengthen the wheel base nicely for 13.5 racing. It moves the motor a little further away from the center pivot, thus increasing overall car stability and rear bite a bit. Remember that the Altered Ego was developed for the Europeans to run modified without using traction compound. I dont know if you remember when I ran the Rug Rat for IRS. It had a longer rear pod than the other T-Bar cars and I just couldn't get it to rotate to my satisfaction. Mike Dunnigan did well with it a couple times, but it was slow for me. So I put the AE 12L4 rear pod plate on the car and it took off. Very good rotation on corners more than 90 degrees and I was in the hunt. The motor was closer to the pivot and the axle location made for a little stiffer ride that I couldn't get with the longer pod and changes to springs and damping. I think the same principles apply here. Therefore, rear bite and stability are important to the Europeans, and that appears to be good for 13.5 racing here. Then the mod guys could use the long XTi chassis plate with either rear pod to have a great mod car here in the States.