R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Really, Redcat?
Thread: Really, Redcat?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Evetts Models
Tech Initiate

Default Really, Redcat?

I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I'm sure anyone who's had the experience of working on one of these things can identify with me. Yesterday a customer brought in a Redcat Earthquake 3.5 to be repaired and broken in. The repair was to the pull start; it's string yanked out the first time the dude pulled on it. Not often a car comes in for repair that hasn't ever been started, but he had ordered the replacement pull start from Redcat. I took the car in the back, took the body off and braced myself for a brush with slipshod engineering and poor quality materials. Two of the engine mount bolts stripped, so I had to take the engine off the mounts from above, and the heat sink had to be removed to get to them. One of them stripped and had to be dremelled and backed out with a slot (not easy when the thing is still installed in the car) I went to remove the pull start and noticed that two of its screws were already stripped necessitating the replacement of the motor's back plate. I put the new pull start up to the back of the engine and it was totally wrong. Wrong flange, wrong screw hole placement- No hope of getting it to work. And the coil almost flew out of it when I got it out of the bag. I called the dude and told him what was up with it- He called me back and told me about his phone conversation with Redcat, who basically told him they sent him the wrong pull start because they didn't have the right one in stock. Working on these cars and dealing with the company that produces them is enough to take the fun out of this job- temporarily, anyway. They aren't exactly cheap, either. For a 20% premium over the cost of this beater, the guy could have gotten something rad. Sucks.

Last edited by Evetts Models; 07-02-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Sp