R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Trinity Revtech killshot motors
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 08:43 AM
elex300
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wiringnatzi
I have been running the standard 17.5 torque model in a T4.2 for about 6 months off road racing.

We were trying to get everything we could out of it and weren't nice to it.

It was geared 72/27 with 55* timing. It would come off the track between 150-165 after 6-8 minute runs. It was really fast and we knew it was probably a ticking time bomb running those temps.

It didn't let the smoke out this weekend but it's time for a new motor... It faded at the end of our first 6 minute qualifier. Son didn't tell me anything till later, so I didn't know anything was wrong. Threw it back out for the second heat and he said it didn't have the power it used to and faded really bad toward the end of the heat.

I threw a spare motor in for the mains and didn't try to run it again. I didn't temp it after the first or second heat because it shouldn't have been any different than any other race previously. I would have temped it if my son would have said something about it wasn't right.

Do motors just get weak after time and abuse?
You may just need to throw a new rotor in it. Magnets are very sensitive to heat. I run my motors on the edge all the time 160-175 and if I feel it getting flat i just pop a new rotor in and its good as new again.