R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 977 Viper
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 02:41 PM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 8thracer
Nope shortening the shaft by turning the ball end in increases the ride height !
Are you sure?....
Shortening the RCM shocks of the 977 will certainly lower the ride height, but only if you make the shock to short, it will then take over the function of the down stop (droop) setting.

With L27 rear springs harder then Red, lower ride heights then 9-10mm with 75+ mm tyres is a challenge.
But because the car has the same shocks used in the front and the rear, the short L23 springs will work also in the rear, and I suggest to try that.

Originally Posted by beebone
Not really! Take a look the Mugen alu bell, the bell inside should look dark with carbon dust w/o grooves when fully break in.

But Serpent alu bell is easy to get scratch (grooves) inside, you can find some alu powder on the shoe surface, which cause the groove on the bell!!!! So clean up anytime to avoid the alu powder when you service the clutch or even newly assemble the clutch

I use it on 45 min final w/o any problem, although there some grooves inside the bell. If those grooves are too deep, the clutch will bog cause bell surface area is increased by the grooves.
To be honest, I used the Alu clutch once, it didn't make me finish a final, so that was it for me. Maybe it also has to do with the fact that the Serpent bell is not coated? I don't know if the mugen bell is. I also tried a JP Alu bell, same problem....