R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 12:24 PM
RC*PHREAK
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the incubus
At this point the issue is somewhat (or becoming) widespread enough that it's impossible just one thing is causing the issue. Not across so many different people in different states, running different turn motors with different power bands, diff oils, etc..

The one thing I can say always sounded to me to be a bit too extreme is 100K diff oil because the resistance such thick oil poses might just be enough to place excessive enough strain on the spur, both under acceleration and deceleration/braking, and that might be fracturing a few teeth here and there until enough of them fracture that it lets go.

Think of how you can flex plastic back and forth until it begins to weaken and subsequently cracks or breaks. This is what I envision might be happening with the extremely thick diff oil. The DESC410 is considerably heavier than the 413 and generally a diff oil of 50K is enough. 100K oil in a 1/10 car seems too much.

I think the solution is an integrated slipper just like the DESC410 to provide some slip for the well being of the spur. these are tiny little teeth and perhaps too much is being asked of them.
don't pay attention to the numbers on the diff oil. you have to run it to see/feel what is right. pretty sure with 50K in the center diff, you'd be roasting your front tires on any track medium traction or higher. i run on a very high grip surgared track and tire wear is pretty much 50/50. if i was running on a medium/low track, i'd experiment with lower diff oils in the center, but to me, 100K feels right.

as for going to 32P and it messing up the ratio, gticlay is right. it doesn't work that way.

on road 64p, 1/10 2wd 48p, 1/8 mod 1. an argument could be made there is a gap in there. i think 32p would be fantastic.