R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Old 06-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Antimullet
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gticlay
Ya know, for those of you running on a "clay" track, if you are using soft or supersoft tires and don't have traction, this is probably exactly your problem - clay tracks need clay compound. Every year, at our track, people buy M4 or super soft tires hoping, wishing, they will be 'softer' and work better on the track. Yes, we all do things to the tires to make them softer, but only for a softer MC or clay compound. Non clay tires just don't work as well as clay tires do on a clay track. Recently Pro-Line reformulated their clay compound and made it considerably softer - first it was called the "double dot" formula but now it just comes with the single dot on it. They work LIKE the old compound softened by whatever method people use, but without stuff on them - actually even better IMO. There's all kinds of tire choices and some companies even have 2 clay compounds but man, if you aren't using a clay compound and don't have traction, that's mostly likely why. Just make sure they are really broken in. They will feel like driving on ice at first which is probably why many people try other stuff when really their tires need to be halfway worn down before they start getting traction. Anyway, this was meant to be helpful...

Agreed I think it's odd as well but at this particular track everyone is on super soft. I tried a set of clay rattlers and they were on ice. I'll scrub them in a few more runs and see if they come in better. Hopefully that's all it is.

I'm running VPPro frictions and crosspasses in super soft and they have huge traction in the rear, and definitely more up front than any rib style I've tried but I still need that little bit more up front to be able to drive it harder through the turns.

I'm still thinking it is just this chassis' inherent stability and push which is great outdoors and in real dirt, but on indoor clay it pushes up front too much. That's on a particular track though.