R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 09:39 PM
TYTESSMANN
Tech Adept

I have been reading the posts about spur gears stripping and I thought I would let you all know what my experiences have been. I can honestly say that I have never stripped a spur gear, now I know that right away people are going to say that I probably replace them on a regular basis but that is not the case. For example at the worlds I ran 10 practice rounds, 6 qualifiers and 3 mains on one of the biggest, fastest, most abusive to cars and high grip tracks that I have ever seen in 1/10 scale racing, cars of all brands were breaking all kinds of parts and I can say that the only thing I wrecked was a front sway bar and that happened during the incident with 2 other cars in the second A main. I'm not going to try and tell anyone what they could be doing wrong or what could be happening with their cars all I can tell you is what I have done and my experiences. With all my cars whenever I use a new spur gear whether it be 1/8 or 1/10 I match it up with a new steel pinion gear or clutch bell, I never use aluminum in off road. I believe it is very important that they wear perfectly together to extend the life of both, gear mesh is obviously critical as well as making sure the motor is tight and is impossible to move. As far as driving the car as hard as I can I never hesitate, if you watch A3 of the worlds where I made probably the biggest mistake of my career, taking the corner to fast and rolling over and giving up the lead, then so I wouldn't lose even more time I used throttle and steering to right myself as I would in 1/8 scale, and with a track with that much grip I can't imagine any situation that would put more stress on a spur gear or chassis, yet my spur gear did not strip. I have done this many times prior to this and many times after. I have the confidence in the car to be able to do this and know I won't damage anything.
I would have to say that the way the car is designed with the motor mounted on the center diff mount joined top and bottom with carbon fiber that there is no way that it would flex that much without bending the aluminum mount which I have also never done.
Don't get me wrong I do feel for those of you that are having trouble getting parts I don't understand why this keeps happening and I can't say that I wouldn't be just as upset as you are, all I can say is that I hope that parts will be available very soon.