R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Sydney Modified Touring Racers
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Supa_18's
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
I thought it would be good to post some tips since mod can be quite challenging on our lower grip tracks. In no particular order, these are my thoughts/opinions - feel free to discuss/add to this...

1. Start soft - don't put a 4.5 in to begin with. A lower wind will help acclimatise to the power, and when you get used to it you can turn up the turbo and boost. On tracks with less than ~40m straight a 4.5t would be no faster than a 7.5t for most drives

2. Short charge - I set my peak to 8.3v usually. The punch they have at the beginning of the run is bad news in low grip

3. Run turbo, not boost - unless the grip is high then I don't think boost is needed. When I have tried back-to-back I have rarely gone faster on local tracks with boost, so I just use turbo for the straight and let the motor do it's thing in the infield.

For those running HW, these are the settings I use at SMA (30m straight) - other brands should be able to set up similarly. For larger tracks I just turn up the turbo and gear to suit the straight.

FDR: 8.0
Can timing: 28deg
Punch: 10/10
Brakes: 75%
Drag: 14%
Boost: 0
Turbo: 24
Delay: 0.15
Slope: 24/18

If people have settings for other brands please post them, I'm sure if we help each other we'll all get better as a result

...Craig
great idea and thread craig.

I know a few guys (including myself) from rivo are keen to give mod a go. is there a particular motor you recommend? wouldnt mind coming to sma on a tuesday night for a run