R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2014, 11:52 AM
John Wallace2
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by howardcano
I know some people are already measuring resistance in tech inspections. It's great as a quick check to make sure somebody hasn't "accidentally" left off a turn on the windings. There are also some organizations (like the BRL) that have their own minimum resistance for each motor type, and enforce it rigorously. I wouldn't expect ROAR to do that, since they currently have no rules in place for it.

What dyno are you using? I'm gathering the necessary items at the moment to make my own, but I always like to use suitable (and affordable!) pre-existing items. The biggest challenge is a suitable flywheel. I have one from a Robitronic, but it seems pretty light. We'll see if it will give enough data points on a spool-up.
I knew someone was doing the resistance thing for exactly the reason you mention, but after racing for 30 years I don't remember who it was.

I'm using the Fantom or as some call it the FACTs Machine dyno. I was looking into various dynos for brushless motors and decided to get the Fantom out of my son's attic and go with something I knew instead of building one. Pretty easy to use for brushless motors. You just have to hook the dyno to an ESC then hook the ESC to the brushless motor. You power the ESC with a receiver battery pack and use your Transmitter to control the ESC. IF you locate one there are more detailed instructions on the RC Conference at the deccosoftware website. I bought the new FACT MACHINE II software that runs on Windows based computers (through Windows 7) as I no longer have a computer that runs the old DOS software that comes with the Dyno.