R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Clawhammers
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Granpa
I know you asked niznai, but hope you won't mind my answering. The best bearings I've found are from Acer racing or Boca Bearings. They'll run you about $8 apiece. I've used them in the tranny, but don't recommend them for wheel bearings. The metal shielded bearings, cleaned often, are better than the sealed bearings. The seals end to swell when you clean these bearings and is especially bad with the cheap $1 bearings.

Also did a quick scan of your parts list and noted the M05 ball diff. They do work, but are fragile and require constant attention. A better option would be a TA03 ball diff or one of the after market gear diffs.

Please don't take this personally cause I mean it well. But, buying every option part before even assembling the kit is not the best way to go. However, since you seem to have almost all the options, just build the kit with the TRF shocks, metal steering and the upgraded diff. Add the other stuff as you go along. I looked at your list and didn't know what some of the stuff was or what it did. Minis are constantly being torn down and rebuilt so add the option stuff as needed and for a purpose. The very best or fastest Minis often aren't loaded down with a ton of option parts. Just those that enhance performance or increase the durability.

@Granpa
Thank you for sharing your opinion. I will look for Acer racing or Boca Bearings. I was of the understanding that Tamiya's ball bearings (included in M05 Gold Kits) would be similar with ceramic bearings, and I'm wrong.

As regards TA03 ball diff, I tried to seek the parts, but it has became quite rare nowadays. Thus I got no other option than to buy the M05 ball diff, which is still available in most of rakuten's sellers.

TBH, when I posted my list yesterday, I was quite worried that I would be torn apart in this thread, especially considering one of the salient principles in Mini racing is its affordability. But I'm now relieved, especially when I see your post and also provide me with some good recommendations.

I am too excited to enter into this hobby now, and have spent lots of time looking for available hops ups to be combined in a Mini.

Originally Posted by niznai
My point was you paid over 1k for all that stuff and forgot the most important upgrade (without which it's not even worth talking about the benefits of all that stuff you paid so much for).

And since you seem to have money burning holes in your pockets, why not go the whole hog and buy some serious bearings like Kanzen? I mean what's another 100$ in a thousand?

Point taken Niznai. I appreciate your recommendation, and will google it now