R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mugen MTX-2
Thread: Mugen MTX-2
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2002, 01:52 AM
nova racer
Tech Regular

Default Re: caster change

Originally posted by Raw40
Phsyco, thanks for the info on the air filter.

Nova racer, hi in one of your last posts you suggest decreasing the caster to stop the rear unloading, can you explain as I think my understanding of caster change might be wrong. I thought that increasing (more spacers in front of upper wishbone would decrease turn-in & increase centre & out of corner steering) am I wrong the reason I’m asking the question is that I’m running maximum caster on my X-ray and having the same problem with the back end feeling very loose. Don't whant to make the same mistake with the MTX2
Thanks in advance
Raw40.
ok think of it this way incerasing negative caster transfers more weight to the front wheels also it you look at your car with a lot of neg caster turn the wheels all the way to the left you will notice that the chassie of the car is being pitched slightly. by the camber changenow put all the clips in the rear and look at it now the chassie should be flatter than with a lot on neg caster. now that pitch from a lot of neg caster puts extra weight on the outside front and takes weight fron the inside rear causing the inside wheel to spin in a turn ( unloading the diff). when you have that happen then you loose forward power in the rear because the outside tire sends all it's power to the inside tire. thats just the way a diff works. now you can decrease or tune the amount of diff unloading by using silicone diff oil. but the heaver the diff oil in the front the less steering that you have. but you can get a little more steering if you go a little heaver in the rear. Also i got this tip from a friend of a friend Josh Cyrul he really helped me under stand the caster thing and why is caused the inside rear tire to unload or diff out