R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hobao OB4 electric revisited.
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2014, 03:17 PM
30Tooth
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alcyon
*snip*
The ob4 is a lot like the rclab 77 . I have done an experiment similar to what you plan to do..on my same era kawada sv10 II. I used the original suspension, bulkheads top decks motor mount...i designed a new super narrow lipo chassis, mounting for vbc floating servo mount to make the flex equal on both sides.i also was able to fit trf417 gear diffs which changed the ratio. Because of that i used 3racing 17t top pulleys compared to the originals 16t. The ratio was 2.25. Now its 2.1764.
Before this there was a guy with a bd7 who used 7200mah batteries who kept beating the crap out of my kawada . Just 2 nights ago i went up against his bd7..still i was using 4200mah shorty pack and guess what..he ate my dust hig time ! The centered mass design coupled with equal flex left and right transformed my kawada into a nuetral handling tc with a lot of steering without rear end washing out.
the funny thing was every week he would keep telling me not to suffer and just buy a modern car. Well after i beat him he just kept quiet and kept trying to fix his car..when there was nothing wrong with it actually .
Great work and congratulations on your achievement.

I see you can mount the battery way in a place I can't, the belt gets in the way. I'm thinking of making two chassis, one for saddle pack and another for a shorty. The saddle one will be similar to stock but without the cut outs for Sub C cells, I just have to make 2 cradles and a new top deck because the battery plugs don't clear the top deck. The shorty one will have the battery mounted lengthwise and thanks to your idea will use a floating servo mount to flip the servo to the left side, so I can mount the battery more inward. I'm just waiting for the completion of the pin router and G10 sheets.