R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray XB4 thread
Thread: Xray XB4 thread
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Wease
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ridgeback
Ive been officially sold on buying a XB4, without reading 326 posts here on this XB4 thread what parts should I buy as spares/backups along with the kit or necessary upgrades? Im pretty sure its not many parts. I race at a high bite indoor clay track (1/8 scale size); do I need to buy the carbon arm inserts?
I race on a medium sized high bite indoor clay track in the winter. The car performs great without the carbon arm inserts. The XB4 is super durable! There are only two things to watch out for in my opinion. 1) the front center drive cvd will get dry and the pin will slowly walk out. Yes, it even pushes through the plastic cvd collar. Buy the Exotek aluminum drive cvd collars, then there is now way for the pin to walk out. I only use them on the center, the rest of cvds don't seem to suffer from the same problem. Keep these greased every so often to keep the drive train smooth and prevent wear. 2) The plastic gear diffs are very durable, however . . . if you're stuck on a pipe or against a wall, don't try to power out of it! I rounded the crown and input gears on two separate occasions doing this. If you're putting power to through the gears with that much resistance, it will round the crown and input gears. It didn't chip or shred them, it just rounded a few splines down. The car still accelerated like a champ, but under hard breaking I could hear the gears skip.

With that being said, I would buy a few crown and input gears. I've not yet broken anything else on the car, so I hesitate to tell you to buy much than that. But I keep a spare set of front arms, front shock shafts, spur gear and cvd pins, that's about it. The car is absolutely amazing in terms of performance and durability!