R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - airtronics sanwa M8 2.4 conversion
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 09:37 PM
whitefangz
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kinetisist
Well I finally finished my 2.4 Mod on my M8. I got the idea from another person off RCgroups. I had to do some digging to get all the details so this is quite a bit of effort on my part to get to this point. Seeing that there is no one making a Module for the M8 that can come under 50 for all the needed parts I went after this. I bought the a XP3-ss Tx and rx for 30 shipped and went to work. The steps are pretty easy.
1 open both tx up
2 remove antenna from both
3 remove module from both
4 cut base of antenna of XP3 off .. take car not to nick the antenna wire
5 pull the antenna apart at seem on XP3 antenna by twisting and pulling
6 install upper half of Xp3 antenna in M8
7 install lower half of Xp3 antenna in M8
8 snap together and feed wire behind antenna
9 hot glue antenna inplace or some other way to keep in place
10 drill hole in M8 top right corner of module bay
11 put M8 back together feeding wire into hole
12 diassemble M8 module
13 drill hole in top right corner
14 feed wire into and snap am/fm M8 module into radio
15 at this point you have a few options
you can install Xp3 module and be done but you can't program other recievers because the bind button is on the inside
you can bind a few recievers with the XP3 tx / rx system before disassembly so you won't need to do the next step.
16 remove and install a bind button on oposite side of module
17 install Xp3 module into M8 module bay ....
18 test system
if all goes well cut the back of the Xp3 out and make a cover for the M8 module bay ...if yo do this correctly it will all snap in and be fully removable.
One note .. the rx needs a power cap for most RC applications

I had the idea of converting my m8 to 2.4ghz after I managed to find it after all these years buried in my store room.....your instructions on doing this really helps..thanks a lot. ..now i will start to look for the module. I saw someone using frsky needs to solder...your seems easier..