R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2014, 09:18 PM
Teufel Racing
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rasheed
I've put 2 race days on my D413 so far. The track i'm racing on is a loose, low grip, smooth track with a couple big jumps.

The first day I had the 4 x 1.2 pistons all the way around and 37.5 in the front and 30 in the rear. This had way too much pack and I was having trouble landing the big jumps. I initially had problems traction rolling, but reducing the front droop seemed to solve that problem. I did have the fastest lap of the day but finished a disappointing 6th in the main after qualifying 3rd.

For the second race I changed to the 4 x 1.3 pistons. Initially I went with 35 in the front and 30 in the back, but that was still a bit too stiff so I changed to 32.5 front and 27.5 rear. That seemed to be the ticket and I won both of the double a mains to take the win in a 16 car field.

I'm using the kit springs, and my diffs are 10/60/3. Camber links are same as tessman OCRC setup. I felt the car jumped and landed great, but was a little weak on the steering, especially in a couple of low speed sections with tight corners. I would like to use a stiffer rear spring to see if I can get a little more steering and free up the rear a little. Any other ideas to improve the low speed steering (kind of a mix of on power and off power on the different turns)?

I really don't feel like I understand how to tune with a center diff. From reading this thread it sounds like heavy oil in the center diff helps you clear big jumps. What does thinner oil in the center diff do?

The car has been a tank so far. I have about 2 hours of runtime on it and I haven't broken a thing.

Center diff oil:
Thicker will make it more full time 4wd. Good for smooth and/or high bite tracks. Doesn't always like bumpy tracks.

Thinner will let one end or the other have more power and not feel like a full time 4wd. Does do better in the bumpy stuff, almost like fwd, and can pull the car through more and not get as upset.

That's the general idea.