R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 07:41 AM
JohnB
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Pro ten Holland
If you want to put shims under the rear T-bar pivot, do you shave off some material of the standoff that's mounted on top of the pivot? What effect on the handling should I be looking for when I try that?
I am looking for some more steering , specially on corner entry. I run on a very high-traction track. I use an L4 with CRC grey rears and CRC or TRC purple fronts. I have tried using more traction compound up front, but was met with traction rolling. Using a more aggressive steer body made my car traction roll. (I switched from a P35 to a protoform bently).
I installed 40wt shock in the center shock in stead of 30, but that also made me traction roll. Applying a little less traction compound on front cured that. But I was back where I started that way.
I have played with the shim thickness between the T-bar and the rear pod plate mount a little bit, but not enough to get a real good feel for it. The little bit it did play with it felt as if going to a thinner shim or even no shim's at all, between the T-bar and rear pod took steering away and added more rear traction. I have added a small shim, maybe .030" under the front T-Bar mount to the chassis and that added a little more rear traction. The thickness between the rear of the t-bar and and rear pod seems to be a more drastic change. I have not tried thicker shims than stock. You have to be careful on ride height changing that shim. Set your ride height off the chassis and not the rear pod.

I usually adjust the car to get more steering by going to a stiffer shock spring and thicker damper disk lube.

The few times I've had traction rolling problems was usally cured with using a smaller diameter front tire

take care
john