R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent S411
Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Johnny Wishbone
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Reactive rear steer

So I did some testing on my version of re-active rear steer. My build was not a straight replacement of front arm assembly to the rear for the following reasons.

Going to the front arm in the rear makes the shock angle placement quite a bit different and leaning the shock in is really reduced, that with either the new or old style front arms. For this reason I modified a set of rear arms to accept the c-hubs and steering blocks.

I used the stock Serpent 4* c-hubs, and wondered if this would really effect the final setup opposed to finding some 0* hubs, but the more I played with the setup the more I got to think that for the minimal amount of turning sweep that the rear steer would produce the castor would have a very small if any effect on the car.

I started with a static rear toe setting of 2.5* toe in with a camber setting of -3 and on bump steer the final toe came in at 4*.

On track the car really had no adverse handling effects, although my lap times where off from previous test sessions without the rear steer. Until I realized the car actually preffered to be driven quite a bit harder into the corner and in doing so actually rotated the car better thru the entire corner and felt better on the corner off. (All the testing done on tight carpet track). Some observers thought the car looked loose but it really didn't feel loose to me and lap times show promise of a average faster consistent lap count.

I will do some additional changes to see what that brings, but if you have the spare parts give it a try.