R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Where can I buy chassis like Traxxas Evo?
Old 05-21-2014, 06:57 PM
reracer
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kodack10
That seems a little over engineered making it out of metal, is it aluminum or sheet steel? But then again I guess weight only affects getting up to speed and that is weight almost *below* the center of rotation of the wheel which should be pretty stable so thats pretty good. Did you use longer chassis screws to off-set the thickness of the metal or is that your actual chassis and not a underneath bolt on?

I was thinking of doing something like that, but using it like a skirt, that goes around the stock chassis.

Instamorph if you don't know is a low temp thermoplastic that you put in very hot water, and then work by hand before it sets up. I liken it to a stiffer and more plastic like hot glue.

I was thinking I would roll it out like dough to get a flat uniform sheet, and then work it with a heat gun and modelling tools to get it into shape.
The car is designed to go pretty fast, so I don't think you can over engineer it. It's made out of aluminum, and it screws to the bottom of the stock chassis. It's an 1/8 scale car, so any plastic or carbon fiber wouldn't be stiff enough. It also has flexable skirt/seals to channel the air to the rear diffuser.

If I were you I would make a mold of the shape you want and vacu-form it out of .090 lexan. It's light, super strong, and you can easily duplicate it if you crash.