R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The future of 1/12 scale
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 06:56 AM
vafactor
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default what I'd like to see

1) I'd love it if we could return to running realistic looking body shells.......and if there were a couple of sources for decal sets that would facilitate the replication of one's favorite LMP style racecar.

2) It would also be great if we ran tires that would last more than a couple of runs. Perhaps spec foams (or even rubber tires) could be the answer. The purple stripe lilacs do seem to work very well for the WGTs, so why not try to find a comparable combo that would work equally well on the 1/12th scale class? For me, the biggest drawback to running 1/12th scale these days has become the need to bring a couple of different tire options to each event and especially the need to true them all way way down in order to be competetive. The tire bill has become unreasonable. I can run my WGT at a very high level on just a single set of spec tires for each event, and that one set will usually remain usable for several more subsequent race days. By contrast, I'll usually use up at least 2 (and sometimes 3) sets of tires during a typical 1/12th scale race day........not to mention the need to carry multiple sets of a couple of different tire compounds...... just in case my usual tire choice isn't working so well on a given weekend. IMO, the tire bill has become the biggest downside to 1/12th scale racing. A spec tire (even if it were a rubber one) could go a long way towards reducing the cost of tires. This is not to mention that nobody enjoys spending inordinate amounts of time at the tire truing station. I'd suggest a durable and peel resistant foam tire that would come at a raceable size right out out of the package, perhaps in combination with a minimum tire size rule (to discourage tire truing).