View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 07:45 AM
Chaz955i
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
21.5, 1s, open timing.

Or 380 can open mod, 1s.

Blinky is too hard too enforce. All of the cheating nonsense is getting old. If a rule is easy to get around by cheating, it's not a very good rule. Find another solution please and lets us play with our ESC's, if we choose. Often something else, even the track, can be changed to slow racing down. There are many better options than blinky.

For blinky to survive, as is, ROAR is going to have to:
-spec ESC. Something obsolete and cheap without any computer connection ability.
-spec sealed motor. "Oh your rotor or bearings failed, tough $^&*, got to buy a new one to keep that seal." Weld the can closed, maybe make a motor where we can remove the shaft bearings from outside the motor?
-spec sealed battery

That's going too make it more $$$ for all of us. And forced spec electronics classes never last long. Stock racing has not been cheaper than mod for me.

Stock should be a slower racing class, because it sure as heck isn't a more even, cheaper class. Not even close. If that was the purpose of stock classes, that's got to be the biggest fail in RC.

Another thing that's bugging me. None of this is really important in off road 2wd. Mod/open isn't what I'd call "fast". The lack of traction outdoors limits those cars, and even 17.5 blinky is a FAIR drivers race, not a horsepower race. Yet they still moan and cry "cheat" as often as on roaders................. how much of this nonsense is just in our heads? ...and a complete non-issue?
Interesting observatons.

I see you are in Ohio. I'd be interested to know where you race onroad because the experience I have racing onroad in NE Ohio is very different from what you describe. Outside of some griping a few years back when open speedo transitioned to blinky I can't remember the last time I heard anyone mention blinky good or bad. It has become a non-issue. While I don't care whether we race blinky or open I do know that I see less people asking if 240 degrees is bad for their motor when they got their boost or turbo settings wrong. Sure some people are still smoking motors in blinky but the frequency seems much lower. As a positive, the overall level of driving seems to have gotten much better in the past couple years and I have a feeling this is partially due to people spending more time maximizing their chassis setup and driving rather than trying to win races on straight line speed. Regarding cost there is nothing ROAR or anyone else can do to stop people from spending a bunch of money. There are always going to be people that either think they can buy speed or just like having the newest and the best. It is up to the individual to determine what their budgetary pain point is and spend accordingly. I have a number of hobbies. RC is by far the least expensive. I've heard a number of people mention cost or motor of the week as their reasons for leaving. More times than not the reason they had no success is they sucked, their "program" sucked or a combination of the two. It is just easier to make up excuses about cost or some other nonsense than say "I don't have talent" or "I'm too much of a baby to accept getting my ass handed to me every week". These opinions are specific to on-road. I've no experience with off-road nor do I want to speculate on what works and why.