R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC5
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 10:05 PM
John Wallace2
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mschumi101
Getting the TC5R really depends on the surface or class. The TC5F (or the original which is identical minus aluminum diff outdrives) works just fine on all conditions or tires. Its easy to set up the TC5F for both rubber or foam tires, carpet or asphalt. With my TC5R it was strictly a VTA car. The tires provided very little grip on carpet, and only decent on asphalt. The R chassis is good for lower grip, rubber set ups. The ITF chassis and top deck are used on the R version and provide better flex as they are thinner, and the top deck doesn't have braces across. The ITF would be nice if you primarily race rubber tires on low grip, but the regular chassis will work just as well, and better all around with the proper set up. Between my two TC5s, one regular, one R, they had almost exact opposite set ups but worked equally well. I personally never ran a spool in my TC5s, and never had before, until I got my xray. Its very different, and required me to slightly change my driving style and set up, but I really like using the spool on that car. So I might get one as a tuning option.
I did forget to mention we are racing on low to medium grip asphalt parking lot tracks and he'll have VTA tires that aren't known for high grip either. I'll probably never drive another car without a spool; it made a great deal of difference in my cars and in my driving. Alec is going away to college so I'll have him check on what racing is around where he will be. Good feed back on the F Vs R model