R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Exotek F1R
Thread: Exotek F1R
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 02:23 PM
wheelz
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JayL
Aaron: more questions, sorry
How are you shimming the front for ride height? I have seen guys use alum shims or extra shims or no shims under the steering upright, that's why I ask

Also are you doing any front droop setting or just putting the stock shim on the front arm droop screw?

Lastly, Are you gluing the rear pit tire insert together? If so how and with what?

Thank you, eventually I will get it all, I promise

Jay
Ride Height:
I run a total of 5mm shim for setting the axle height with the stock plastic Tamiya steering spindle. 5mm of total shims with the stock tamiya axle seems to be the least amount you can run and not put any preload onto the spring. If you are running the smaller aluminum one you would have to measure the difference and compensate with equal shims on both sides. Guys that are using no shims are most likely just utilizing the setscrew built into the axle or are trying to get "droop" by allowing the car to not be entirely engaged on the spring while the car is off the ground.

Right now, with the kit Tamiya medium front tires, my car has 2mm on top of the spindle and 3mm on the bottom. Typically with pit front tires i run 3mm on top and 2mm on the bottom.

The thing that I don't like with the old/ current suspension configuration is that in order to change ride height one has to move the spindle up or down. Doing that changes a lot of geometry all at once. Axle height, ride height, weight bias front to rear, and bump steer are all changed by changing the cars ride height with moving the spindle.

Droop:
I do not run any screws in the droop holes on the lower arms. I actually just cut those tabs off haha

Rear inserts:
I have found it both faster and easier just to use a single piece of strapping tape on the outside of the foam to keep it all together.

Do not worry about asking too many questions!! I've learned a lot over the last year or so about these cars (probably too many laps for my own good) and am more than happy to share what I have learned

Aaron