R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Clawhammers
Tech Adept

Default Request for Recommendation

Hi,

I just join this forum and this would be my first post

I am a beginner who wants to play RC, and having browsed several available options, I am interested to play with Tamiya M-05. My considerations in choosing this model are (A) lots of reference stating that playing M-chassis is FUN, (B) it is recommended for beginner, and (C) easier maintenance due to 2WD-FWD system (compared to 4WD belt/shaft driven or 2WD-RWD).

I have a LHS nearby who own a outdoor asphalt track, and I am informed that the character of this track are
(1) large circuit,
(2) several high speed corners and
(3) medium traction.

There is a Mini class run there, and it is mandatory to use Tamiya Hop-Up only and Hobbywing Justock Combo Xerun 17.5T (motor & esc). Minimum weight 1,230 gram and maximum gear 20T.

I have browsed the last 700 pages in this forum, and with reference to the above explanations, I opt for Long Wheelbase (239mm). I just purchased Tamiya M05 Pro Gold Version (#84359) and body shell of Mini JCW Coupe.

With regards to the battery, I purchased Silverback Elite 4200mah (40C – 7.4V). I also purchased 4 sets of Team Powers Pre-Mount Rubber Tires (36R) for front and rear.

I have not purchased any additional hop-up yet, and I am quite confuse having browsed various recommendations in this forum. I have prepared list of several hop-ups that need to be purchased, as follows:

#54194 – Ball Differential Set (I couldn’t get the TA03 Ball Diff)
#53597 – Universal Shaft Assembly
#54183 – Reinforced Freewheel Axle Set
#54191 – Aluminum Steering Set
#54192 – Aluminum Steering Link
#54195 – Aluminum Turnbuckle Rod
#54000 – M-Chassis Aluminum Damper Set
#54239 – Sway Bar Set

Now my questions are as follows:
  1. Please advise whether there is any additional hop-up that needs to be purchased ?
  2. Please advise the suspension setup for Aluminum Damper Set and Sway Bar ?
    I think I am going to use Red Spring (Front) and Blue Spring (Rear) and Yellow Sway Bar (Rear).
  3. What type of Tamiya’s Damper Oil (Front & Rear) that I should use for the above setup ?
  4. Considering that I could only use Tamiya’s Hop-up, would it be possible for me to use M06 Bumper (#51437) ?
  5. Is there any other aftermarket body for 239mm wheelbase (LWB) ?
    I don’t want to use my JCW Coupe for most of the time.

Thank you for reading my post, and I hope to learn a lot from this forum