R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Titan ARC R10 190mm EP Touring Car
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 10:53 AM
NEED-MORE-SPEED
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default FRONT GEAR DIFF

I've been driving the 2013 R10 with very few option parts, simply testing "out the box" going on 3 weeks now. 3 of 3 club races, putting this chassis through it's passes. I have finished 3rd at two of them and won the other, so this chassis is definitely a contender "out the box" no arguing that.

I have looked at almost every team drivers set-up and other fellow ARC driver set-ups that have been posted and I noticed something interesting. Very few drivers have posted a set-up using a front gear diff or mentioned using a front gear diff?

I decided to give it a whirl using Gravity RC 2.5 million and I was blown away from the results at the very beginning. There wasn't a single thought, once on the track that went through my head "maybe I need to get custom to the feel/drivability using the diff" the car simply come alive for me.

* The car held a tight line extremely well with zero issues of pushing when on throttle and even held the same line when off throttle.

* Was able to drive the car harder opposed to using the spool and it was more consistent, picking up more faster lap times in the process.

* Car was silky smooth every turn, rotated extremely well, felt more balanced during transitions and picked up entry corner speed.

With all the positives I gained, one would think there would be negatives as well? There wasn't any negatives converting to the diff in the front (didn't loose any steering or anything to that matter), in fact I gained in all areas, even mid-corner steering.

Showed no signs of fading what so ever and the car was flat out faster and more importantly "easier to drive". I was able to push the car harder, use more throttle in certain sections than when using the spool and the car kept asking for more.

The results also clarified the following: Set "my" new track HOT lap and backed it up the next two laps and continued to turn the lap times that was my previous (single) HOT lap when using the spool.

I have used and tried front gear diffs in different chassis, so the diff isn't anything new to me. Some chassis the spool was faster and others the diff worked as well, came down to track and conditions. In this case, the diff gave me a completely different car and I was blown away from the results. This same track I tested, is one of my local tracks (high-bite carpet) and the spool was always faster for me in other chassis. So for now I'm hanging my hat, "the 2013 R10 hauls the mail using a front diff paired up with 2.5 million viscosity.

If you haven't tried the front diff I highly, highly recommend

Last edited by NEED-MORE-SPEED; 04-17-2014 at 12:31 PM.