R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GT class--buggy-based on road!
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 02:06 PM
Aught-Six
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Yes the ISON is the best overall choice, especially since your track is going by ROAR rules!
Here in houston (my home track) the 9 ports rule and have the fastest lap and qualifying records at every event this year ( i know because i have had the TQ and fastest lap at both of them and in Brownsville with a 9port!!) . The straight is 260 ft but you go into the straight at a higher speed than homestead! If your car is setup good you are full throttle immediately after the timing loop where as in Fl you go into the straight from a very sharp turn. We get the same speeds here in houston that were run in Homestead!

The class is still evolving and we as a group are figuring out how to make these cars fast!! Just look at how much quicker GT was in FL than last year!! 2013 fast lap was 19.89 and i think only 2 guys did it , 2014 that time got pounded down to 19.2 with a handfull of guys running mid 19's It was very exciting to watch Paolo and Scotty grind it out , incredible actually!

More food for thought on the port debate, in FL the faster sportsman guys were still running 54-56mph on speed and the majority of the pro guys were running 55-58 MPH Paolo and Scotty were able to crack of a few 60-61mph speeds. Some of the sportsman lap times crept into the mid 20 sec range which is also where the majority of the pro class car were ( i had engine issues but my fastest lap for the weekend was 20.01) So you have to ask yourself this question, If a restricted 5port can get within a few MPH of an unrestricted 9port then why run a 9 port? and why did no pro run modded 5ports? I asked this question myself and was told simply "9 port novarossi engines are faster all around than the 7 and especially 5 port, its that simple". when you restrict an engine(via smaller venturi) you dont lose top end you lose bottom end) , the engine will not wind up as fast with a restriction, thats just how engines work. max RPM is max RPM a restrictor will not change that, it will however slow down how long it takes to get there. SO in laymans terms a restricted 5port will not have more bottom end than a non restricted 9 port!!
Not trying to feed an argument but how much more effective will your 9 port be at one of our local tracks? We have a great love for the GT in Utah but we don't have the monster tracks many of you enjoy. Although this video is a few years old we raced weekly at this track up until this year when it closed. Not many 9 ports here. We do have another track we race at that is bigger but this track made ya learn to really drive your car. It was one more day a week we got to run our GTs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCSjEIB88Hk