R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Casper
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JK47
Hey Casper. First of all, thank you for spending time on this forum and answering our questions. Same goes for the rest of the TLR team.

So on to my question… have you ever used droop as a tuning tool? I race on outdoor, hard packed tracks which blue grooves and sometimes end up with a fine layer of dust depending on the humidity (east coast). I find my SCTE runs better with less droop. In order to get everyone on the same page, when I say 'less droop' I mean that I limit the downward travel of the arm to LESS than what it is stock (or without adjustments). I find that I am still able to get the steering required to rotate around turns and the truck just 'feels' better and more responsive. With full droop (arms all the way down) I feel the truck has too much body roll and takes longer to react to inputs and I also tend to overdrive the truck, meaning it turns TOO much if that makes any sense.

The reason I ask this question is that in all the setup sheets available for the SCTE, almost no one mentions droop settings or if they do, state they UNSCREW the shock bottom eyelet 2 turns which INCREASES droop => increase body roll => slow down the truck's reaction further. Is this really how you guys drive?

When I see vids of your trucks (TLR team guys), they seem VERY reactive and have VERY limited body roll around the turns. The inside radius of the truck barely lifts up if at all and it looks like there is not a whole lot of weight transfer going on. Especially on some of the higher grip tracks on the west coast, your trucks almost look like carpet TC's lol. This just does not compute in my head. I know you can get the same 'feel' by increasing oil weights and changing roll center, but the setup sheets online do not reflect this.

The only downside I've experienced due to limiting droop is that the truck feels less 'plush' when coming off big jumps. When i am able to cleanly downside the jump, I can accelerated MUCH quicker and its sooo smooth. When I over jump and land flat, it feels like it hits harder (which makes sense).

Could you provide some input to my observations? When I ask the local drivers about droop, they often don't understand what it does or don't touch it as a tuning option. Thanks in advance!
Absolutely we play with droop thus the unthreaded shock ends. Now when grip goes way up like slicks time for indoor clay or outdoor blue groove we will limit travel or take away droop and make a few other little changes to help numb the car some some it is easier to drive and will be less likely to traction roll. But our "normal" track settings do have extra droop in them. Again depends on how the track is. I will be posting Ryan and I's blue groove/slicks setup shortly at www.casper-rc.com Going to run this weekend and take some measurements of where we end up so I can document it properly.