R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray XB8
Thread: Xray XB8
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 01:16 AM
razo125
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Swaybarz
Kingpin is the inclination of the axis that wheels turn on. So when you change kingpin plates, you are not changing caster. If you look at the different plates you Can see the different locations of the front vertical pillow ball, and how they move in relation to the two mounting screws.

When I talked yo Reno, he said, "kingpin is acting a bit like caster. More kingpin makes the car smoother around neutral but more onpower steering."
Hope this helps.
This is what Reno told me also. I had a friend who confirmed this when he ran the 6 degree inclination plates. Here's his feedback... They basically change the front steering balance at corner entry, mid and exit.

As far as driving feel goes on track:
1. Stock inclination had less steering going into the corner and mid corner, but pull out like crazy. Some liked this steering balance.
2. The 6 degree inclinations had more steering on corner entry and mid and less steering on exit. Some prefer this steering balance. (Most of the Pros were using 6 degree incline plates last I saw)

As far as what the differences are physically between the 6,10,16 inclination plates. It changes the how much the tires lay down in relation to each other. In relation to each other, the left and right tires have different cambers the higher you go in axle inclination.

1. With 0 inclination (XB9 stock) the rate the tires camber in as you turn the wheel are more or less equal.
2. With 6 degree inclination plates (XB8 option) the rate the inner tire cambers in as you turn in greater than the outer wheel.
3. With 16 degree inclination plates (XB8 stock) the rate the inner wheel cambers in as you turn is even greater than the outer wheel. The inner wheel really angles into the corner and the outer wheel actually angles out when compared to 0 or 6 degree inclination.
4. The 16 inline plate will have the shortest upper arm and the 6 incline plates will have the longest upper arm.

Last edited by razo125; 04-12-2014 at 03:13 AM. Reason: added another difference item #4