R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 02:22 AM
Tim K
Tech Regular

I think the move to square packs is a good idea. I've been running my own shop for the past 5 years and the round packs have always been harder to get than the square.
With the way Hobbykings prices are, folks here in Australia will have no trouble getting some great square packs for their mini.

The main brand of round lipos I would stock were IP3800 and I used to get a lot of complaints about them puffing, sometimes after 2 months, sometimes after 12 months, all of the IP's puffed eventually.

The other complaint was the lack of C rating for round packs. Everyone wanted 50 or 60C, 40C was never good enough.
I tried to tell them that 20C was all they needed, the Yeah Racing 3200 were 20C, Brad uses these and only these and he won nearly every event there was.
Once someone has bought into the "more C is better" hype then that's it for them, you can never convince them otherwise. There was a detailed story on rc-mini.net all about C rating and the effect it has on them in a mini.

Don't forget that there are also "shorty" square packs, so yet another tuning option :-)