R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread
Old 04-08-2014, 09:47 AM
DsWright
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital
Whew, what a relief! I will see you at AMS though Chicky!

Ebuggy the next couple weekends, club race and prep for the following week as we begin the SOS Series down here in GA. Right now planning on running ebuggy and 2wd 10th buggy, but the big outdoor tracks, ebuggy is just where the fun is.

I have been taking both the RM and MM out to the track and getting a feel for the differences. The RM is 17.5 no boost, and MM is an 8.5 with very minor boost, so somewhat apples to oranges. The week before, and worse this week, the rear end just did not feel as stable as I would like it. Acceleration onto the sweeper and straight was fine, but on anything off camber or if I got on it too aggressive and it would want to overrotate. This also happened off power. I was at 1.5mm of shims under the rear inner camber link, went to 2.5 thinking roll center. This made it worse. Went the opposite and down to .5mm and it got a little better, so then swapped in the -0.75mm hexes that were on the RM. That was the ticket, the back end has all the confidence I could ask, but the car still rotates at will and turns in almost like my 12th scale. I just ordered another set of the narrow hexes as the RM car felt amazing all weekend. Best lap time dropped from 11.3 to 11.1 with the MM, and 12.8 to 11.3 in the RM (was just a tire change).

To those that have asked, the Serpent Spyder Facebook page is where all of the action is now, but these threads shouldn't die either as there is still lots of good info here. Those narrow rear hexes are quite nice though.
What rear wheels are you running? I actually had better results going to the +.75mm hexes. I run almost all AKA wheels, which have a slightly different offset.