R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Touring car tire size, is it time for a change?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:47 AM
mkiiina
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
I know, and to me, that takes the fun out of it. When I got into onroad racing, that was the fun part, trying to find the right tires, shock oils, shock springs, ride height, and gearing that got you into the competition mix. I personally don't like this "spec" thing the way it is being done now because I feel it is being done for the wrong reasons. In my area, they have "spec'ed" the tires for club racing at my carpet track. The tires chosen wear out quickly (luck to get two good race days out of them at $30 a set). I have tires in my possession that are slightly better and can get way more than two race days out of them but because of certain political things going on at my local track, I cannot run the tires of my choice.
Wouldn't make you any faster there. I have 4+ race weekends on my tires and have no complaints. Make things easier and at the end of the day I have more money in my pocket not having to "guess" at what tire the track will work with.

As you have see with F1 almost everyone runs the same tire at our track because it works. Are there other options out there? Yes but they aren't used because they don't work as well.