R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR removed Trinity Epic D3.5 13.5 and 17.5 from ROAR motor list
Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 PM
rcnickv
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YoDog
What I think is the real problem here is not so much that racers, including myself, can no longer use our "go to" motor of choice (at ROAR events) (God knows I need every advantage I can get my hands on) rather than the fact that many unknowingly continued to spend money on a doomed product which the governing body apparently had planned to ban all along. Racers continued to purchase the D3.5 with the confidence that it was already deemed legal based on the information available. Obviously information was withheld and the buying public continued to be duped into buying the wrong motor. The consensus was that the D3.5 has an advantage over most motors on the market and was sought out by those who wanted said advantage, real or not. The perception was that only the 17.5 motor was being banned... Again. If a motor does not meet regulations when submitted it should not be permitted and therefore the sale of said motor will suffer. The D3.5 motors had already been deemed legal by the governing body and then rescinded when later found that it does not in fact meet the spec. It had been public knowledge that the 17.5s days were numbered therefore people stopped buying them. The same scenario did not apply to the 13.5. It continued to sell quite well based on the believe that it was within spec. No public information was made available, to the best of my knowledge that would give warning that I was buying an illegal motor. It's as if the lawsuit required that the buying public be swindled purposefully, that's what gets people angry about this situation, not that they can't use the so called "fastest" motor. Obviously there are motors on the market that can compete. (I just need to buy more of them to try since most people used the D3.5 as a benchmark) But that's not the point here.
The fact that I can't use my motor at the RROC doesn't bother me at all, I do have other good motors to use but there is the perception that my D3.5 was the best of them. It actually kicks butt boosted in mod at smaller, bumpy tracks so mine is not for sale yet...
This...... +1

Luckily I bought a different motor after looking at the D3.5... Races like iic not allowing any D3.5s (17.5 or 13.5) made me think this might happen...