R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray T4 '13
Thread: Xray T4 '13
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 07:53 AM
Troy Carter
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
I'm looking for a little setup help. I'm running the T4 in VTA, on VTA tires, on medium to high grip indoor carpet. I started with the kit carpet setup and I changed the following

* 2 degrees rear toe in, 1/2 degrees front toe out
* 1* camber front and rear
* 40wt AE oil front and back
* Xray springs, 2.9 front, 2.7 back
* Front shocks moved in 1 hole on the top (so laid down one hole)
* Rear diff 3K AE fluid, mounted in the upper position
* Front diff 1.5 million fluid, mounted in the upper position
* Droop set to 7mm front and rear on the Hudy droop gauge, which is around 3mm rear and 2.5 front droop or so
* 5mm ride height front and back, car detweaked with spring preload adjustments
* Spec-r top deck, center post with screw, no screws through spur carrier (2014 upgraded)
* +1mm front hexes, though the front wheels still rub on the front of the arms at high turn angles and under suspension load.
* 1456g total weight

The car feels ok but I noticed a few things. It has a LOT of initial turn-in, and sometimes it digs in and spins the rear around if I'm not careful. Furthermore, it feels like the car continues to steer after I start to straighten the steering input, so it'll stay turned in further past the apex than I think I'm giving it input for. But it does transition quickly from left to right in chicanes and such.

I think it basically has a bit too much steering, if I'm reading this correctly. What are some of my options? Also, does anything seem off for a VTA setup?
I don't run VTA so...grain of salt here.

I would go after a softer shock package. I know VTA cars are heavy but I would go down to 35f/32.5r and drop back to a lighter spring. 2.7f/2.5r or 2.5's all around. The thick fluid combined with stiff springs make the car too twitchy at initial turn in for me.