R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hobbyking
Thread: Hobbyking
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 12:37 PM
billdelong
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by cyba888
Spent thousands at hobby king their parts are not bad for the price. Shipping time was also reasonable.
+1

I just checked my customer profile and I have a total of 27 orders dated back to 2011. Out of all those orders, I have only once had to make a warranty claim to which they honored. Customer service has been slow at times, but very much acceptable for the most part.

Originally Posted by daveaustin5
Hobbyking will always divide opinion. Their size allows them to blow others out of the water on pricing. Their business model is going to antagonise others and I'm sure smaller shops fear them in the way greengrocers feared Wal-Mart/Tesco etc... And they're right to do so and try to protect their business.

As for 'supporting the hobby', HK do that by offering very low cost alternatives. They might not support local racing but in the UK, there's not many shops that are.

I've been buying from them for quite a few years and will continue to do so.

What I would say to prospective buyers is that they should always read the reviews and comments when buying something and apply a bit of common sense. If you're spending $5 on a servo, expect to get a $5 servo.
+1.... this is some VERY good advice here... I have definitely come across a few hit/miss items and folks are generally spot on in the product reviews. Fortunately, HK doesn't censor their reviews which is really nice, unlike other distributors who only leave favorable notes on their product pages.

There is also a BuddyCode system to further gain higher savings and I always check for codes before every purchase and also post subsequent codes after a purchase to get credit rewards when someone else uses one of my codes later:

http://hk.rc-international.info/swarm

I've found many products sold by HK to be rebranded items sold by major brand names in the US, so if you do your homework, you can really find some high quality products... also keep in mind that HobbyKing/Turnigy is just a distributor (much like OFNA in the US)... they usually do a good job of pulling products from distribution when folks start making complaints. If there are no reviews for a new product, then realize the risk that YOU are the guinea pig for that product.

Happy Bargain Hunting