R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent Cobra GT RTR or Kyosho GT2 race spec
Old 03-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Jspeed
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JLock
Yb2fast,

At the 2012 Byron's Challenge in Chicago, I finished 6th in the GT A-main with basically a RTR Kyosho GT2. My car was stock chassis, stock plastic shocks with kit springs, stock shock towers and chassis braces. The only things that I added were as follows:

1. Straight cut ring/pinion gears in the diffs
2. Ipanema Blackhawk transmission w/ center CVDs
3. Werks B5 engine with Werks 2013 pipe

So, you don't necessarily need to "bling out" a Kyosho chassis to be competitive/hang with the other cars. Yes, I was still rocking the stock dogbones on all four corners!!! I worked more on car setup and choosing the right tire shores for the track conditions and temps. I also don't go "balls out" in the beginning of long mains; just pace myself because there will be some racers that will tap out during those mains for mechanical/technical reasons.
I remember that, that was too funny.

Yb2fast,

There was a bunch of guys that cast their Kyosho's aside and spent big coin on the latest & greatest.

Then here comes Jlock from dead last starting position (after bumping into the a-main) with his stock dog bone Kyosho Inferno sporting the old blue chassis.

If I'm not mistaken there was 12 cars in the main, a bunch of the "faster" guys cars crashed out, broke stuff, blew their mod's up or wore their soft tires out..... and here comes Jlock, not a problem at all. He was turning faster lap times with every new lap.

If the race would have gone a real man's 60 minutes, instead of the light-weight 40 minutes, I bet he would have made the podium with his" old outdated" car. lol

Too funny