R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - MTX 5
Thread: MTX 5
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 04:42 AM
JR28
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by NITTO550
I see a difference between smooth and early engagement . Less spring tension will give you an earlier engagement. The distance between the drum and the shoe makes it smooth. Also spring condition is important. From what I experienced , after the 2 speed shoe wears down and the gap becomes too big the 2 speed shoe will lock up in the drum, and once you get back on throttle out of a corner the torque of the engine will break the spur if it's still engaged at low speeds. I've been driving this car for a few seasons and this is what I see.
Hello Nitto,
I will retry the Set Up that you evoke for the shoes. Besides, it's very interesting to exchange with you because somebody mentions finally the problem of the 2nd spur stripping because the shoes remain stuck in the drum when the first speed (because low velocity) engages.
You are fully right, the problem arrives after some running time, when the shoes and the drum wear down. By changing the shoes and the drum, the problem is resolve, for sure.
By the past, several guys of my club and myself met this similar problem with our NT1. The best solution we found (excepted the one to change drum and shoes) was to change the central screws (they deteriorated in their extremities in contact with the cylinders) and to not put too much pressure on these ones, so to have the adaptor enough free in the shoes. It's why, Nitoo, I don't like to have the shoes very close of the drum (to not put pressure on the screws and to not damage them).
One thing is sure : I think like you, this 2nd spur breaks because the shoes remains still stuck in the drum when the first speed engages. Is it the too important gap because the wear ? Is it the aluminium on the drum that is embedded in the shoes and with the heat.....it sticks, I don't know exactly the right explanation.
If other guys have ideas on this issue, you are welcome.
Cheers.