R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RD/Richey Racing Engine
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005, 05:32 PM
JAG Racing
Tech Regular

Default Re: R3 High & Low Setting

Originally posted by YR4Dude
Hi,

I just got my R3 today. According to the instructions that came in the box, it says to run one tank through at idle and the next serveral tanks (up to 1 litre = 13 tanks; @75cc/ tank) on the track while giving 50%to 80% throttle bursts. All this while keeping it under 220F.

Thats okay but other than midrange, there was no suggested starting point for the low and high end adjustments.

Can I get a suggested starting point as a base adjustment. Also, is my interepretation of the breakin instruction correct? Please advise.

One last thing, at the start of this thread you show a prototype motor with an alum. carb. The motor I received had a composite carb which is okay because STS motors usually come with composite carb. Was this done as a cost cutting measure? Did you originally specified an alum. carb for any performance advantages? If I were to swap the alum. carb from a Novarossi or MT12 would I get any advantages or would I mess up the motors performance? Please advise.

Thanks.
YR4 -

My R3 was received with the high and low set pretty rich which makes sense. After the first tank on the starter box, I started to lean out the high-end so that the tempertures would get to the proper break-in range of 200 - 210.

As far as starting points go, I can only tell you that the factory settings were adequate to start the car and run the first tank on the starter box. Ambient temps /humidity being a couple of many variables I did have to turn in the high-end adjustment 1/2 to 3/4 turn so that the engine temperature would get to 190 - 200 degrees after the first tank. Now that I have 13 15 tanks through the engine, my high-end adjustment is 2 turns out CCW from bottom. I am using a 7 turbo plug with 30% Nitro fuel. As far as the low-end adjustment, it is maybe 1/8 to 1/4 more CW than when I received it. I guess I should have documented the factory settings for future use. Maybe Motorman can tell us the default carb settings soon.

One thing I noticed was the high-end carb adjustment needle is "tough" to turn. I guess those O-rings will soon wear just a bit so it will soon be easier to turn. Let me know how you like the engine!

Last edited by JAG Racing; 01-11-2005 at 05:40 PM.