R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 08:17 AM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Boons
Silvercan question...

Sorry guys, I know the answer will be on here somewhere but I hoping those in the know can answer my question for me.

I run my Mabuchi silvercan which I got with my standard M05 kit without any tricks or mods apart from soldering on 12awg wire and gold 4mm Tekin connectors.

Off the shelf, is there a silvercan that is faster than the rest? Or is it a case of buying severall and testing them?

Cheers!
This is a "loaded" question, cause the answer depends on what you define as a Silvercan. So simple answer first-----The Tamiya #53689 or 540J is better than your kit motor which was probably a 540SH. There are any number of things you can do to help your motor out, but the most important is to keep it clean and polish the comm every heat.

There's a thread in this Forum, Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks, that's devoted to the care and feeding of this motor. As usual you'll have to sift out the BS. However, there are a few guys who were posting there that know how to build 25k plus 540J motors. It's not very active any more so you may have to go back a couple of pages to find it.

Now if your or your organization's standard is any thing with a silver colored can, then there are any number of fast editions available. Not an expert in this area cause these motors are considered "cheaters" for racing in my area. With this being said, a lot of people would set their cars up using these motors or use them in practice. The HPI 20 turn and the Stinger are the most popular, tho I suspect there are probably faster ones available. I've used the Stinger and like it cause it's been a zero maintenance motor especially since it's not legal for racing and are just run and run till they give up. Just take the label off and many people won't know the difference. Also, there are organizations where these motors are legal.