R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Old 03-13-2014, 12:39 AM
NitroLuver
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Sometimes it isn't about gaining some microscopic amount of speed out of a car. But fine tuning the overall weight of the car I think is the most under-used setup component out there. Heavier cars react slower, but have more grip. Lighter cars have less grip, but react faster. Even in stock, it isn't necessarily about having a car as light as you can get it, it's about having the "right" weight for the track conditions.... sometimes lighter, sometimes heavier.

I have run my stock buggy right at the weight minimum... sure the car feels like im running a 13.5, but the car becomes less predictable, and generates noticeably less traction, all else being equal.

The problem with just swapping batteries, is that unless you have a STACK of them that vary by 10 or 20 grams, it doesn't do you much good to go from shorty to fullsized because that is typically 100grams difference. If you want to change your weight by only 50grams, you gotta drop to a shorty and add 50 grams with something else.

In my experience, heavier cars produce better lap times on loose tracks, and lighter cars produce better lap times on high traction tracks. (if you can handle their snap).

-cpt.
this, plus I feel like it's a driver thing as well..A lightened car may work for you but not for me.