R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)
Old 03-11-2014, 08:46 AM
Quantra
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by blackshark3
I felt lost in setting up the car after converting to FFG...before with traverse mount motor, with the AM19 on 4 corners mounting the links at the outside holes and using the recommended setup the car ran quite good on my track which is outdoor aspault with good grip and wide bends. However, once converted to ffg, again following the recommened setup at first, the car became so understeer at mid corner that i had to let it roll all the way through the corner. Then I began to change the A and B position but now i found myself even more lost. Any help appreciated
I spent a long time muddling through set up too. Playing a lot with the shock settings. Then one day I put on fairly standard shock settings from Freddy/Viljami. They were much stiffer than what I had before and it allowed me to feel the whole set up of the car and tune all the geometry to get where I wanted to be. This is the setup sheet I followed for shocks: http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/awes...ice2013110103/

Now I have this experience I sometimes change shock settings but only really to handle bumps. I find they change the way the car feels but not really large handling differences or large differences in lap time. Even though the sheet I link is for carpet I still suggest starting there then my approach is change damping gap to get the damping feel right and then change spring gap to get spring feel right.

If your car pushes a lot with the FFG then check the FFG stops aren't too far out. Also following some advice given by a UK team driver you can do a lot of tuning with this car with droop. Little droop can make the car super responsive but it will push mid corner, more droop particularly at the rear can help the car rotate. Personally I have found eliminating bump steer can also help mid corner as I found when I applied the throttle it was stealing my steering away.