R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF418
Thread: Tamiya TRF418
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 04:10 AM
cplus
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
Essentials in my opinion are non-bladed front spool outputs (I have the Roche ones or Tamiya did supply them with the previous 417V5)
According to the manuals the V5 and 418 both use part number 19804512 for the spool output cups (Direct Cup in tamiya speak)

#54544 as far as I can tell are one and the same item?

I want some roche blades, I just think they look cool. Very cheap mod

the silicone TRF diff o-rings and an extra set of thin diff shims to reshim the diff afterwards.
These are in the tool box already from building TA06 diffs

And check, $3 for 5mm shims to the shopping cart. Ouch.

The one-piece "top hats" for the front caster blocks are a nice option, save a lot of hassle when rebuilding.
Tuber spacer? Got them from my Ta06 build. Brilliant, much better the the stock with a shim. Will re use.

You will also need some springs, HPI Silvers and Pinks is what I have now. Tamiya's springs have too big a step between them and the kit set are quite soft.
Cool. HPI silver seems to come up in every review from recent times. It will be 100% asphalt running for me.

Obviously there is a huge selection of tuning parts that fit from Tamiya's past touring cars (suspension blocks, caster blocks, roll-centre spacers etc) but I have yet to find a setup that is noticeably better than the kit setup. So buy as many or as few of those parts as you want!
I've got a few blocks with the TA06, but typically, they pretty similar to the stock 418 (I've got two pair of 1A/1XA separates and a 1B and 1E one piece).

Also have carbon 6deg caster blocks I have never used either that will fit. They are the wide opening version too, so good for DCJ's.

Good to hear that kit settings are a very solid base.