R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2005 Florida Winternats
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Jpilone
Suspended

I found an interesting read on mytsn.com that Mike Myers originally wrote about Fort Myers:

How to drive Ft. Myers

Advice from Ace Racer Julius Kolff

Julius Kolff (julius) on Fri Apr 14 05:33:26 2000:

(This was originally entered in the Starting Grid Conferences... am copying it over here. I took the photo from a helicopter, having asked the pilot to circle the track several times while I took a full roll of photos. Following this advice is guaranteed to make you a faster driver at the Ft. Myers track in Florida!)

The lap starts at "O". You should be crossing the dotted line aiming to be on the outside of the track at the start of that last line on the straight. Then depending on the setup of your car: Either turn into "A" whilst still on full trottle or lift and coast through the turn. Just after passing the apex start to brake for turn "B" Let the car run wide out of "A" and turn in late for "B" this makes "B" & "C" a straight line.

On the approach to "D" be careful not to be on too far outside as you'll be riding rubber dust! As "D" is a corner which radius keeps getting smaller you can go into it quite fast and turn in more and more as the car slows under braking. The line out of "D" into "E" is as close as possible to the dots. After passing "E" turn a little longer to the left (you'll be in the middle of the track at "F") before turning right as to make the line between "G" & "H" straight. At "H" keep it close to the board, this to be wide into "I" and close to the board coming out of "I". This sets up the line for the chicane.

At "J" keep close to the board and go right until a point where "K" to "L" is straight. If I remember correctly both "K" and "L" are driven over the painted surface and real close to the board (scary but cool!) Into "M" is taken at 1/3d of the inside, 2wd needs to lift shortly going in, don't know with 4wd. The rest of the sweeper is full throttle but be carefull not to be too far inside. Too close and you'll see only the aerial of your car!

The real trick to fast times is a car that is stable under braking into corners "B" and "D". There is no need for lots of brake but you need to be able to keep on the brake during a big part of the entrance of both corners. Both chicanes are taken full throttle of course (lifting is for sissies!)

Don't overdo it though, better lift if you're not completely sure of your line then to collect pieces after trying too hard!